SENIOR ACCOUNTANT (HEADQUARTERS)
Closing date: 6 July
Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international charity that supports the safety of aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO services help NGOs with their day-to-day risk management responsibilities and improve their overall situational awareness to support evidence-based humanitarian access decisions.
The Organisation has grown from innovative start-up to become a globally recognised charity and a valuable component of the humanitarian safety coordination system.
Today the Organisation provides daily support to more than 930 beneficiary organisations (NGO) in some of the world’s most insecure environments and has earned a strong reputation for performance, principles & professionalism.
INSO has been registered as a charity in the Netherlands since April 2019 and its global headquarters is now based in The Hague, the international city of peace and justice.
It has over 900 employees globally and in addition to its Netherlands HQ is active in 15 countries across Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Central Asia.
INSO is looking for a qualified and experienced Senior Accountant to join the start-up team at their new Headquarters in The Hague, Netherlands.
Working in INSO’s Headquarters in The Hague and reporting to INSO’s Director of Finance, you will accurately maintain the ledger activities of the Headquarters. You will provide senior management and departments with a clear and reliable information on expenditure versus budgets. You will report in a timely manner to country offices overseas on intercompany transactions. You will assist the Director of Finance in the preparation of financial statements and statutory audits. This role requires proficiencies in accounting software and MS excel; it also requires rigor, attention to details and an aptitude for building systems and procedures.
The candidate must have the right to reside and work in the Netherlands.
Responsibilities of the position:
* Daily bank reconciliations and the coordination and processing of payments;
* Executes foreign exchange transactions, calculates exchange rates and posts revaluations in the ledger;
* Timely completion of month-end closing processes for INSO Headquarters, including preparation of journal entries, accruals, prepayments, inter-company transactions, revenue recognition and reconciliations;
* Monthly review and analysis of the balance sheet and profit and loss accounts;
* Preparation of reports on actual versus budget. Works closely with Departments on forecasts so that the management has and accurate and timely information,
* Supports HR with the payroll process, keeps up to date in the ledger an accurate information of amounts owed to employees (travel claims, severances, allowances, etc.),
* Set up and maintain an efficient secure filing system of accounting documentation and enforce a robust financial software security protocol,
* Supports the Finance Director in the preparation of donors’ external financial reports and the consolidated management accounts,
* Supports the Finance Director in coordination of external and internal audits,
* At least 7 years of relevant work experience in direct accounting
* Bachelors degree with completed accountancy qualifications
* Proficient in MS excel
* Ability to manipulate large amounts of data; excellent attention to detail and accuracy
* Ability to manage a heavy workload and conflicting priorities
* Ability to work as part of a team
* Fluent English and Dutch (written and spoken)
* Candidates must have the right to reside and work in the Netherlands
* Experience in the NGO sector
* Masters degree
* Proficient in SUNSYSTEM, Q&A reporting tool
* Good working knowledge of main humanitarian donors’ regulations (USAID, ECHO, DFID etc)
* Knowledge of French
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy:
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process. As such, the following safe recruitment practices will be applied:
* All offers of employment will be conditional on receiving at least two satisfactory professional references;
* INSO will ask candidates about significant gaps in employment history or frequent changes of employer and address;
* All essential qualifications and relevant professional accreditations and memberships will be verified;
* The successful candidate will be required to provide a valid proof of identity (passport, ID card);
* All new hires will receive an orientation in INSO’s safeguarding policy and procedures and associated documents (Code of Conduct, Whistleblowing etc.);
* All new hires will be required to sign and abide by the Code of Conduct as a condition of employment.
Terms & Conditions:
The position will be based full-time in The Hague, offered on the basis of a renewable 12-month contract with a starting gross monthly salary of €4,545 plus 8% vakantiengeld; 2.5 days of annual leave accrued per month.
How to Apply:
Interested persons are requested to send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org and ensure to reference ‘’Senior Accountant’ in the subject line of your email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Your application should include the following:
* Cover letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, your motivation in applying and what you hope to bring to INSO (1-page maximum).
* Up to date CV (4-page maximum).
Please do not send any additional information (certificates, other writing samples, etc.) and keep the total size of your application under 2MB.