Global Information Manager
-based in The Hague, Netherlands
Closing date: 27th August 2021
Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international charity that supports humanitarian aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services, including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO services help NGOs with their day-to-day risk management responsibilities and improve their overall situational awareness to support evidence-based humanitarian access decisions.
INSO provides daily support to more than 1,000 NGOs operating in 14 of the world’s most insecure countries and has earned a strong reputation for its performance, principles and professionalism.
As of April 2019, INSO is registered as a charity in the Netherlands with its global headquarters now based in The Hague, the international city of peace and justice.
INSO is currently in the process of incorporating and upgrading its extensive repositories of in-country data from each of our 14 programmes into the Conflict and Humanitarian Data Centre (CHDC), INSO’s own innovative, interactive and internally designed software application. With instant access to a real-time conflict activity dashboard, comprehensive incident datasets and data visualisation tools, the CHDC will enable the adoption and enhance the application of evidence-based decision-making by INSO’s NGO partners regarding humanitarian safety and access.
Placed within INSO’s HQ, the primary aim of this position is to contribute to the broad range of global analysis outputs for INSO’s NGO partners, especially the monthly NGO Incidents Overview and quarterly Safety and Access Review, by establishing an internal system for global data collation as well as developing high-quality data visualisation products, including maps and graphs. The successful candidate will have a strong data analytical and visualisation background combined with a good understanding of spatial data, graphic design tools and information management. The successful candidate will also possess a flexible, creative and detail-orientated approach while demonstrating commitment towards actively participating in a new and dynamic analytical team focusing on global products and services.
The Global Information Manager reports to, and is the responsibility of, the Senior Analyst within the Analysis and Research Team based at INSO’s HQ in The Hague. The Global Information Manager will also liaise and coordinate regularly with the Data Management Team.
* Manage the internal data interrogation and categorisation process for global reports (scheduled, tailored and research), in coordination with the Senior Information Manager and the Data Manager.
* Provide and produce maps and charts for global analysis reports in conjunction with the Global Senior Analyst and Global Research Analyst.
* Develop the graphic design, format and presentation of these reports before publication using Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Microsoft Sway and Power BI.
* Identify, document and forward any in-country data discrepancies or inconsistencies during the production of global analysis to INSO’s Data Manager.
* Coordinate with the analysis team in the design, development and production of tailored, comparative and thematic analyses for partner NGO and donor HQs.
* Provide data visualisation support for the analysis team in their presentations or briefings to INSO’s partner NGO and donor HQs.
* Identify and integrate innovative developments in data visualisation and analysis to enhance the quality of INSO’s products, especially for thematic research projects.
* Cultivate working relationships with INSO’s Information Managers across field platforms to enable effective communication channels.
* Offer ad-hoc assistance to the Global Communications Manager in gathering and illustrating evidence-based material from across field platforms on INSO’s impact.
* Engage with the Senior Information Manager on matters relating to technical advice, global standards and internal synergies.
* Promote and maintain a clear, consistent and logical structure for internal documentation related to the Analysis and Research Team.
* Support the management of INSO’s main info and global registration accounts.
* Subscribe and contribute to maintaining and promoting the integrity, reliability and consistency of INSO’s data.
* Serve as a standing Information Manager if/as required by the Chief Analyst.
* Track and analyse data trends towards conducting forecasts.
* Adopt and adhere to INSO’s principles, policies and procedures.
* Fluency in English (required).
* Masters degree in (Spatial) Data Science, Information Management, GIS or relevant field.
* Technical proficiency in GIS software, such as ArcGIS; presentation and design tools, particularly Adobe InDesign and Illustrator; data visualisation tools, specifically Power BI; and advanced MS Excel skills.
* Minimum 4 years work experience.
* Ability to work both independently and collaboratively to tight deadlines.
* Passionate about data analytics and data science.
* Pre-existing experience with conflict or crime datasets.
* Experience in security incident mapping.
* Relevant experience working in NGOs, international organisations, think-tanks or research consultancies.
* Experience with ArcGIS scripting.
* Data Analysis Expressions (DAX) language.
* Code/script writing.
* Familiarity with SQL, including creating queries and manipulating data.
Key Personal Competencies
* Conceptual, critical and creative thinking
* Managing and solving complex problems
* Effective communication and interpersonal skills
* Organised and diligent work ethic
* Empowering and inclusive team player
* Cultural and situational sensitivity
* Principled and consummate professional
Terms & Conditions
This is a full-time position based in The Hague, Netherlands, offered on the basis of a fixed-term, renewable 12-month contract with a gross monthly salary of €4,750 plus 8% vacation pay (vakentiengeld
) and 2.5 days of annual leave accrued per month. This post is eligible for Highly Skilled Migrant visa sponsorship.
Safeguarding in Recruitment
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process. As such, the following safe recruitment practices will be applied:
* All offers of employment will be conditional on receiving at least two satisfactory professional references;
* INSO will ask candidates about significant gaps in employment history or frequent changes of employer and address;
* All essential qualifications and relevant professional accreditations and memberships will be verified;
* The successful candidate will be required to provide a valid proof of identity (passport, ID card);
* All new hires will receive an orientation in INSO’s safeguarding policy and procedures and associated documents (Code of Conduct, Whistleblowing etc.);
* All new hires will be required to sign and abide by the Code of Conduct as a condition of employment.
How to Apply
All interested candidates for this post are requested to submit their completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 27 August 2021 and ensure that ‘Global Information Manager' is referenced in the subject line.
Applications should be submitted in English and include:
* An updated CV (maximum 2 pages).
* Three samples of your previous work in data visualisation and mapping.
* A one-page cover letter detailing why you are interested in working for INSO and how your qualifications align specifically with the competencies required for the role.
Please do not send any additional information (such as certificates, diplomas, writing samples etc.)
Reviews and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis so please do not hesitate in submitting your application. Unfortunately, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and invited to take an online skills assessment test.