-based in Kabul, Afghanistan
CLOSING DATE: 30th September 2021
Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international charity that supports the safety of aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in complex contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services including real-time information, reporting, safety related information and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations, and training.
INSO services help NGOs with their day-to-day risk management responsibilities and improve their overall situational awareness to support evidence-based humanitarian access decisions.
Today the organisation provides daily support to more than 1,000 NGOs in some of the world’s most insecure environments and has earned a strong reputation for performance, principles & professionalism.
INSO has been registered as a charity in the Netherlands since April 2019 and its global headquarters is based in The Hague, the international city of peace and justice.
Afghanistan Country Office:
INSO Afghanistan provides services to enhance the delivery of aid and preserve the safety of staff employed by more than 280 Afghan and International NGOs that provide humanitarian assistance to people living in the country. INSO started as a joint platform in Afghanistan in 2002.
Overall Purpose of Role:
The Finance Manager works closely with the Director and has the responsibility to protect the financial health and integrity of the project by enforcing appropriate accounting and financial procedures and policies; providing timely and accurate financial data to enable project orientation, planning, and decision; meeting the external reporting and audits requirements; orienting staff in financial management, audits, and procedures compliance.
The team in Kabul has also a Deputy Finance Manager and a Finance Officer.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
* Oversee the financial record-keeping function of the project. Control and reconcile the documentation (expenses, banks and cash, payroll and tax, cost accounting revenue, A/R and A/P accounts). Timely uploads the financial information in SUNSYSTEM.
* Develop in coordination with other departments, the annual budget of the project. Prepare forecasts and monitor expenses. Reconcile the funding outlooks with needs. Identify funding gaps or cash deficits. Alert in an opportune manner on the necessary budgetary adjustments.
* Support the Director in the grants management function. Provide financial information required for proposals or grants modifications. Review grant agreements and participate in their negotiation. Knowledge of principles with respect to the cost of grants; orient the team members in this domain to ensure compliance. Meet deadlines and timely prepare the financial statements for grants reporting in the correct formats.
* Setup a secure filing system of the financial documentation. Act as a focal point during audits, enforce internal and external audit recommendations in a timely fashion. Secure an adequate budget and resources to enable the audit activities.
* Maintain healthy financial practices across the project. Enforce finance working documents and training as needed to ensure staff adherence. Ensure all financial practices implemented across the project comply with standards. Review and authorize transactions within the threshold. Enforce “four eyes principle” and other appropriate control systems to prevent errors, inappropriate use of funds, unsupported expenditures, fraud, or any other ethical breaches. Make recommendations for ongoing improvements in functionality as required.
* Oversee the financial statutory reporting to local authorities. Lead the year-end process and timely provide the required information for the consolidation of INSO global financial statements.
* Provide the leadership oversight and administrative direction to the project Finance Team. Partake in the recruitment process, orientation, and training of staff with financial functions.
Essential knowledge, skills, and experience:
* Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience, preferably in similar roles with NGOs
* Masters degree in finance, business administration, management or economics or Bachelors degree with significant relevant experience
* Completed accountancy qualification (CIMA/ACCA/ACA or similar) preferred
* Proficient in SUNSYSTEM, Q&A reporting tool and Excel
* High attention to detail
* Ability to process large amounts of data
* In depth knowledge of financial regulations and account processes
* Ability to handle multiple donors and multi-year budgets.
* Donor/ grant management experience and donor policy knowledge (ECHO, FCDO and or SDC) preferred.
* Good English language skills, both written and verbal.
* Time management skills
* Ability to supervise and direct
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy:
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process.
As such, the following safe recruitment practices will be applied:
* All offers of employment will be conditional on receiving at least two satisfactory professional references.
* INSO will ask candidates about significant gaps in employment history or frequent changes of employer and address.
* All essential qualifications and relevant professional accreditations and memberships will be verified;
* The successful candidate will be required to provide a valid proof of identity (passport, ID card);
* All new hires will receive an orientation in INSO’s safeguarding policy and procedures and associated documents (Code of Conduct, Whistleblowing etc.);
Terms & Conditions: 12-month contract, anticipated 1 November start date, €5000 per month salary, 4 days annual leave per month and 7 days of R&R every 2 months with a €1,000 allowance per R&R cycle, global medical coverage (excluding USA) and $200,000 AD&D coverage.
How to apply:
Interested applicants are requested to send the following to email@example.com and reference “FINANCE MANAGER” in the subject line of the email.
The application must include:
* Cover Letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, any preferred characteristics, your motivation for applying, and what you hope to bring to INSO (2 pages maximum).
* Updated CV (5 pages maximum).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please do not send any additional information (such as copies of certificates, copies of diplomas, other writing samples, etc.) and keep the total size of your application under 2MB if possible.